Fred’s Footsteps provides interim funds for otherwise financially stable families to help them handle the financial burden of a child’s illness or traumatic injury. Financial assistance from Fred’s Footsteps carries a maximum value of $10,000 over the course of one year, with an average dollar amount varying depending on the case.
No two families are alike, and every family we work with will encounter different challenges as they face this difficult period in their lives. Fred’s Footsteps works with each family to determine and address their most pressing needs.
- Lost wages of parents forced to leave work or reduce their hours to provide around-the-clock care for a child
- Home renovations needed to accommodate wheelchairs and other medical equipment
- Transportation costs incurred traveling to and from medical facilities
- Medical equipment required to support the child’s illness/injury
- Household bills put on the back burner due to medical expenses
In order to serve families with the greatest need, Fred’s Footsteps follows strict guidelines when awarding funding.
Please remember that even if it appears that an applicant meets the basic guidelines for assistance, we simply do not have the funds to provide assistance to all families who apply and therefore can only award funding to families who best meet our mission.
- There must be a demonstrated relationship between the child’s illness and the family’s financial need.
- One of the primary caregivers must be employed or have a demonstrated work history with a recent change in work status due to the child’s illness.
- The family must live in one of the following counties: Atlantic, Cape May, Lancaster, Northampton, Berks, Chester, Lehigh, Ocean, Bucks, Cumberland, Mercer, Philadelphia, Burlington, Delaware, Montgomery, Salem, Camden, Gloucester, or New Castle.
- The child must be younger than the age of 18.
All applications must be submitted by a hospital social worker. Applications submitted by social work interns must be cosigned by a social worker in the department.
We strive to make the entire process easy and efficient for families who already have incredible stress in their lives.
If you believe that you are eligible for funding through our program, please contact your social worker at the hospital where your child is receiving treatment, and they can walk you through the process. All applications must be submitted by a hospital social worker.
We appreciate referrals and want to help as many families as we can; however, Fred’s Footsteps adheres to guidelines. Prior to submitting any applications, please be sure to review our program eligibility criteria and the types of support and assistance we can provide. Our application is available online through the Social Worker Portal.